Steven R. Cavalli
Steve is a very versatile attorney, known for his innovative approaches to resolving complex cases. He is meticulous in his preparation and enjoys working closely with his clients. He has successfully opposed some of the nation's leading institutions and corporations. An aggressive litigator, his practice emphasizes products liability, roadway design and crashworthiness cases. Steve also serves as Judge Pro Tem for Santa Clara, Alameda and Contra Costa Counties.
- A $1.5 million verdict awarded to a 60 year old man who was injured when his trailer was rear-ended by the driver of a big rig who fell asleep at the wheel. This case settled for $1.75 million. Verdict believed to be the first seven figure verdict for a single injury in Yolo County.
- A $2.7 million jury verdict against Cal-Trans in a highway design case involving a young man who sustained a brain injury.
- A $1.9 million jury verdict for the family of a woman who was shot and killed by the Union City police department.
- Co-trial counsel with Gary Gwilliam on cases which resulted in a $6.1 million jury verdict in Contra Costa County, $5.5 million jury verdict in Alameda County and a $3.5 million jury verdict in San Mateo County.
- A substantial confidential settlement for a mother and her unborn child in a products liability case against Toyota. The failure of a seat belt was alleged to have caused serious injuries to the mother and nine-month-old fetus.
- A $3.5 million settlement in a wrongful death case involving truck broker liability.
- A $1.5 million settlement for permanent injuries suffered by a construction worker in a fall that resulted from a contractor's negligence.
- An $800,000 jury verdict for a woman who fell into an oil service pit and fractured her hip.
A $2 million dollar settlement against the City of Oakland for the wife and daughters of a man who was killed when his bicycle was caught in a dangerous rut in the Oakland hills.
- A $3 million dollar settlement against a retreat center in Bolinas for a 75 year old woman who became a quadriplegic when she fell while descending a stairway.
Areas of Practice
- Product Liability
- Roadway Design and Crashworthiness Cases
- Personal Injury - Motor Vehicle Accidents, Construction Accidents
- Medical Malpractice, Brain Injury, Birth Defects
- Civil Rights, Discrimination, Police Misconduct
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- California, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1984
- San Francisco Law School, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1981
- Honors: Graduated First in Class
- University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California
- B.A. - 1971
- Broker Liability in Truck Accident Cases (2005)
- Handling Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Cases (2007)
- California Brain Injury Association
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- CEB Products Liability
Honors and Awards
- Northern California Super Lawyers, 2005 - 2014
- Martindale Hubble AV Rated
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alameda County Bar Association
- Alameda-Contra Costa County Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Associate
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member, Board of Governors, 1996 - 1998
- Contra Costa Bar Association
- Italian-American Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
- Alameda and Contra Costa Counties, Santa Clara, Judge Pro Tempore